Friday, November 22, 2013

Mr. Hardin & Tommy - in My Drawers

Day #5, November 22, 2013 of What's in My Drawer
Mr. Hardin and Tommy
Lithograph with painted paper pulp
21" x 29.5"
©NanciHersh
$400.00

This print is from my Ranch Camp Series, named for the old plantation where I lived on the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii in the early 1990's.  I was recently divorced from my husband, in graduate school, and was using my work to find connections to this place I loved - and my roots thousands of miles away.

Mr. Hardin lived at the corner of my short little road that emptied into miles of sugar cane, Mt. Ka'ala behind me and the Ko'olau Mountain range in the distance. Directly in front of my little yard was all of Mr. Hardin's roosters, chickens, dogs, buckets, cages, junk- all covered in the red dirt of the cane fields.  

One afternoon when I walked to the end of the road to get my mail Mr. Hardin was sitting in his open car port drinking beer with his crony Tommy. They asked me to join them. I ran home, grabbed an aluminum lithography plate I had at home and began to draw directly on the plate as they "talked story."

I pulled a few prints of this litho, this is the only one with color which I painted on with wet paper pulp- and the only one left of Mr. Hardin and Tommy.

Click here to see the post about What's in My Drawers and be in the loop for the rest of the art and stories in this blog series.



No comments: