Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Artist as Collector from Abroad

This week's post for our Artist as Collector Series, comes from Elaine Kehew, an American artist currently living and working in Nairobi, Kenya.
©2012BillTully
I have this piece by my artist friend Bill Tully hanging in my daughter's room. 

When my baby girl Rebecca was newly conceived, I chose this painting because it seemed ephemeral and dreamy, and just starting to come to life. We had recently found out that the baby would be a girl, and I like the soft pink tones. 

Bill was an inspiration to me before I decided to paint- I would visit his studio near PS 1 in Manhattan to see the work in progress and smell the turpentine.

Elaine Kehew is a painter and printmaker who has made her home in Nairobi, Kenya. Her work often involves the coast or port themes as viewed through the lens of the artist abroad.

No comments: