Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Symbolic Reminder- Artist as Collector

Caribbean - American artist Indigene Theresa Gaskin is this week's guest blogger for our Artist as Collector Series.
Andrea Pratt
Black -Billed Magpie
mixed drawing media on archival black paper
10.5" x 10.5" on 14" x 14"
The work of Andrea Pratt was introduced to me online by a mutual friend.  
I became mesmerized with her use of color and symbolism in nature and landscapes. I explore symbolism in my art with images of the universal woman. 
Andrea's work continually inspires my love for symbolism.

I purchased this painting in November, 2011, three months after my Mom and Sister lost their battles with cancer.  This particular painting has a special place in my heart. It is said that birds carry your soul to the divine, and and my Mom loved birds. She often painted and embroidered them. My sister was known as a magpie!
It reminds me daily of their love of nature, the cycle of life and their soul's journey. 

Every painting has (at least) two stories; the one the artist painted and the one the collector or viewer feels and brings to the piece.

Indigene Theresa Gaskin explores the idea of the universal women through dreams, myths and spirituality in her vivid paintings, drawings, journals and altered books.

4 comments:

Indigene Theresa said...

Nanci,

Thank you for featuring Andrea Pratt's amazing work! :)

Nanci Hersh said...

@Indigene Theresa, Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and introducing us to Andrea's work. I love what you said about there are two (or many stories to a piece) the artist's intention, and the collector - it reminds us of the power of art. I also love how it connects you to your Mother and Sister in such a powerful way.

Deanna said...

I can see why you would be drawn to that piece. To me it resonates energy. Thank you for introducing me to this artist.

Nanci Hersh said...

@Deanna thank you for visiting the blog and commenting. It does resonate a wonderful energy- and why it could have symbolic meaning for @Indigene Theresa on many levels. Thanks again!