Sunday, May 20, 2012

Studio Cup

Potter Alex Beam-Ward is this week's guest blogger for the Artist as Collector Series'
"Studio Cup"
©2012BoBedilion

This has been my studio cup for many years, and one of my most cherished cups in my collection.  It is by Bo Bedilion, a potter and professor at Columbia College. Bo is also a mentor and dear friend of mine. It was a gift from the artist. 
I have always admired Bo’s deliberate use of archetypical forms and outdated glazes. He uses this as a means to ground his work in the past, but he is able to find new life within his self-imposed restrictions. 


In a conversation I once had with Bo in his studio,  he likened his work to “Putting new red laces on a pair of old work boots.”  


I have always thought this was a lovely analogy for his work.  

Alex Beam-Ward lives and works in Chester County, PA. His work recently caught my eye at a Farmer's Market in Kennett Square. No red laces. White is the new red here.


No comments: