Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Beyond Teaching to the Test

Display of some of my work in at the art room of Mary Ann Uhle at
Kennett Middle School for Career Day.

Just noticed that the student works behind my table are of Butterflies, and Rabbits.
Serendipity at its best!

 

Last week I was at Kennett Middle School for Career Day.  I brought samples of my studio work including my children's book Butterfly Kisses and Wishes on Wings- When someone you love has cancer... a hopeful, helpful book for kids, shared my website and blogs with the students. We also did a quick and easy printmaking project- creating personal stamps, using foam shapes with adhesive backing, small pieces of cardboard cut in 2" squares for the stamp backing and water soluable markers to "ink" them up.

Using water soluable markers to "ink" up their
personal stamps

I learned that last week was also Teaching Artist Appreciation Week.  As a teaching artist, I have worked with Arts Horizons, Young Audiences of New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania,  and the DCCA Contemporary Connections program, and numerous other organizations to bring art to our schools with projects that integrate their art practice with school curriculum.
Sample print made from a personal stamp

It is a great way to enhance, engage and expand the classroom- and get beyond teaching to the test!




No comments: