Monday, July 12, 2010

That Elusive "X"



I realized that making art is often like a treasure hunt. Sometimes, I want to go right to the X, the treasure/ the finished piece. BUT, each step is a clue to the next one, and like a treasure map it is not always linear or clear. Lately, while working on my wire, pulp and encaustic pieces- primarily the forks, knives, spoons, and nets, it has been frustrating the heck out of me. I can appreciate the process but it has been a challenge not quite seeing how they work together, how they hang, and more specifically how I am going to put it all together when I install the work in the window at the Fashion Center at 209 West 38th Street in Manhattan in two weeks (!)

While in my studio today I reflected on the process and the treasure map analogy and I could see how each step along the way has informed or moves me to the X ... whatever that may be.
My friend Marian sagely pointed out, that like in life that X is not always clear and changes and evolves. So for the next two weeks, the boys are in camp and I have the luxury of going into my studio and continuing on this great adventure of making art and gaining insight along the way.







No comments: